Tulbagh is one of South Africa’s oldest rural villages and is bordered by mountains on three sides. Obiqua, Winterhoek and the Witzenberg mountains will give you a breathtaking view. Located in a fertile, serene, wine-producing valley, Tulbagh is a hidden gem. The famous Church Street is having the highest concentration of national monuments in the country, to be specific 32! A strawl through Church Street takes you 300 years back in time.
In Tulbagh every season has its own beauty. The flora and fauna will excite the senses. The colours of the seasons will amaze you. Explore the winelands, stop for winetasting at world famous cellars, visit an olive farm or just enjoy a picnic provided with an African Tulip picnic basket.
The nearby Matroosberg reserve is known for its snowfall during winter, a must see and close to our place.
Please come and explore our beautiful village, enjoy the friendly atmosphere, only 90 minutes away from Cape Town! We advise you to make the African Tulip your home and stay at least 2 nights to explore the area.
Events in the valley
Make sure you visit our valley for these events!
25 may 2019
Tulbagh Vintage & Vine
22 & 23 june 2019
Christmas in Winter
18-21 september 2019
25-29 september 2019
Commemoration of the 1969 Earthquake
Tulbagh Arts Festival
Things to do in the area
The historic village of Tulbagh is one to visit all year round. Being a part of the Witzenberg valley it’s also very central to explore the area.
In Tulbagh you will find the following activities:
- Historic walks and buildings in the centre of town
- One of the oldest museums in the country: Oude Kerk Volksmuseum
- World famous wine cellars and their vineyards
- Olive farm
- Wine by bike
- Tulbagh Dried Fruit
- Different types of good restaurants for lunch and dinner
- Beautiful nursery
- Hiking trails
- Horse trails
- Oudekloof Tractor Ride
- Scenic day trip tours
For the adventurous:
- Ceres Zipline Adventures
- Mountainbike trails
- Horse Riding at Horse About
- Ceres Rail Company, historic steam train
- West Coast National Park
- Ceres Mountain Fynbos nature reserve
- Inverdoorn Game Reserve
- Aquila Private Game Reserve
- Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve
- Riebeeck Kasteel
- within an hour drive there are several Golf courses in the area